The University of Iowa offers placement tests in mathematics, chemistry, and some world languages. Placement test results are used by academic advisors along with admissions test scores (ACT and SAT), high school transcript information, and transfer credit to help students determine in which courses to enroll.

In some cases, scores from placement tests can be used to fulfill World Language General Education Program requirements. Incentive credit opportunities are also available in the world languages and mathematics for students who score well on a placement test and do well in subsequent college courses. Scores from placement tests do not affect admission decisions.

The University of Iowa does not administer Advanced Placement exams, but we do accept AP scores for credit. Credit granting policies are available for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Tippie College of Business, The College of Engineering, The College of Nursing, The College of Public Health, and the College of Pharmacy on the University's Advanced Placement Program page.

See information about individual tests via the menu on the right and please make sure you use a computer for these tests and not mobile devices. Please login to any of the placement exams with your hawkID and password.

For accommodations on placement tests, please contact Student Disability Services

If you have questions about your placement score, contact the Academic Advising Center at