Your first year on campus starts here
Your first year at the University of Iowa starts right now! Sure, you may not begin classes until the middle of January, but what you do over the next few months will lay the foundation for your whole Iowa experience. We want you to get involved—and to feel like part of the Hawkeye family—right from the start.
Essential information for new students
This website offers essential information for every newly admitted undergraduate student, plus a guide to the resources that will help you succeed throughout your first-year on campus. It connects you with everything you need to know about orientation and transitioning into the University of Iowa.
Meet your Peers
Upcoming Important Dates
- May-August: Attend orientation if starting in the summer/fall 2018 semester
- May 1: Deadline to apply for living learning community or Honors housing and request a roommate. Online room and meal plan selection will take place in Mid-May.
- May 15: Priority deadline for housing ADA/medical accommodations. (Questions? University Housing & Dining, 319-335-3000).
- May 31: Deadline to apply for new student housing and request a roommate. Online room and meal plan selection will take place in mid-June.
- June-August: Receive your official room assignment and meal plan contract with move-in instructions from University Housing. Notifications continue throughout the summer.
- June-July: Download the General Student Requirements Form for your physician to complete. This includes proof of measles, mumps, and rubella immunity, which is required of all students.
- July 1: Official test scores and high school (and any college you have attended) transcripts are due by this date. (Questions? Admissions, 319-335-3847).
- August 1: Last day to apply for housing.
- August 1: Your first u-bill is posted on MyUI. Payment is due by August 23rd. (Questions? Billing Office, 319-335-0071).
- August 12: Early residence hall move-in; you'll have to pay a daily rate of $45 per day until your contract begins. (Questions? University Housing & Dining, 319-335-3000).
- August 14-16: Residence hall move-in: you will receive your move-in date and time with your housing assignment.
- August 14-16: Attend On Iowa! Pre-Program optional night and day events.
- August 17-19: Attend the On Iowa! Program, your official Hawkeye community welcome.
- August 21: Classes begin.
- December/January: Attend orientation if starting in the spring 2019 semester.