Success at Iowa Online Course
All new undergraduate, domestic and international degree-seeking students are required to complete the Success at Iowa online course. This 2 semester hour course will help introduce you to resources and information that will help you be a successful Hawkeye.
- First-year and Transfer Students enrolling for summer or fall will take the course CSI:1600 during the fall semester. The course will begin after May 1 with some modules needing to be completed prior to attending orientation.
- First-year and Transfer Students enrolling for spring will take the course CSI:1600 during the spring semester. The course will begin after December 1 with some modules needing to be completed prior to attending orientation.
International students in the Iowa Intensive English Program (IIEP) are not required to complete the course until they have been admitted to a degree program.
To Begin the Course
Login to Iowa Courses Online (ICON) with your HawkID and password. Once you have logged in, click on the Success at Iowa course for further directions and more information. If you do not see the course listed, you may need to select the correct session (fall or spring semester) from the drop-down menu at the top right of the ICON dashboard. Some modules will not open until previous parts are completed.
The Success at Iowa online course is delivered in 5 Stages that open at times before and during your first semester when information is most relevant to your transition to the University of Iowa. Students must complete all modules and pass all quizzes at 80% or better to pass the course.
The 5 Stages of the course explain what you will do as part of your transition to the University:
Pre-orientation modules will include information about online systems including the MyUI student portal, Iowa Courses Online (ICON) and Office 365. Additional modules opening later in the course include information about:
- the academic resources and campus involvement opportunities available on campus
- transportation and how to navigate campus and Iowa City
- your new community, diversity and inclusion
- university libraries
- academic integrity
- financial literacy
Other components that all students complete include:
- eCHECKUP TO GO, which will provide you with accurate and detailed information about your personal alcohol-related risk patterns, individual level of alcohol tolerance, unique family risk factors, harm-reduction strategies, and helpful resources on campus and in the community.
- Every Choice, a program designed to help you protect yourself and others from sexual assault, harassment, stalking, and dating/domestic violence. You will learn what constitutes sexual or domestic violence, how to intervene when you see it, and what to do if it happens to you or someone you know.
- Excelling @ Iowa, a comprehensive transition program that will help you plan for early success at Iowa. You will be asked to take a survey during the third week of the semester. Based on your responses, you will receive an individualized report suggesting campus resources that may help you excel both inside and outside of the classroom.
Questions about Success at Iowa can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.