Success at Iowa Online Course
About the Course
If you are a new undergraduate, domestic or international degree-seeking student at the University of Iowa, you are required to complete the online course, Success at Iowa.
- If you are a first-year or transfer student, enrolling for Summer or Fall, you will take the course CSI:1600 during the Fall Semester.
- If you are a first-year or transfer student, enrolling for Spring, you will take the course CSI:1600 during the Spring Semester.
If you are an international student in the Iowa Intensive English Program (IIEP), you are not required to complete the course until you have been admitted to a degree program. If you are an exchange student or a student in an online degree program, you are not required to take the course.
Success at Iowa is designed around the five stages of transition that most University of Iowa students experience at the beginning of their college journey. Each stage has its own opening date, due date and set of requirements. You will complete the initial stages before the semester begins and the later stages after the semester is already underway. The final stage, Stage 5, is due during the seventh week of the semester.
The content in each stage provides you with information when it is most relevant to your transition to the University of Iowa. Because of this, the course must be completed in order.
5 Stages of Transition
Transitioning to and throughout college is a process. Success at Iowa supports you as you transition to Iowa so that you can reach your goals and get the most out of your experiences.
Stage 1. Prepare
In Stage 1 of Success at Iowa, you will Prepare for your time at the University by learning about online tools that help you stay connected with your instructors, academic advisor and your coursework. You will also explore diversity, equity, and inclusion at Iowa and consider what choices you can make during your college journey.
Stage 2. Discover
In this stage, you will Discover the unique community and resources available to you throughout your time at Iowa and how to get involved in that community. You’ll also learn tips for staying successful academically, as well as options for getting around campus, including how to ride the Cambus, the University of Iowa’s bus system.
Stage 3. Experience
Once classes begin, you will Experience what it is like to be a student at the University of Iowa and to interact with faculty. You will find out, where to go for help when needing personal and academic support.
Stage 4. Excel
In Stage 4, you will set yourself up to Excel by reflecting on your first few weeks on campus and learning personalized tips that you can use so that you can stay successful at Iowa.
Stage 5. Persist
Finally, Stage 5 gives you the chance to consider the choices you have made so far and the choices you want to make in order to Persist through your first semester and beyond at Iowa. You will also learn the steps you need to take to successfully transition into your second semester at Iowa and to register for your second-semester courses.
- You must complete all of the course requirements and earn a score of 80% or higher to receive a Satisfactory (S) grade in the course.
To Begin the Course
- There are no class meetings to attend or textbooks to purchase for this course. Everything you need is available in Iowa’s learning management system which is called ICON, short for Iowa Courses Online.
- Log into ICON with your HawkID and password. Once you have logged in, click on the Success at Iowa course and read the information on the “Home” screen to get started.
- If you do not see the course listed, you may need to select the correct semester from the semester drop-down menu, found in the upper right-hand corner of the ICON dashboard.
- It's time to get started with Success at Iowa! Welcome to the University of Iowa community!
Questions about Success at Iowa can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org