Success at Iowa Online Course
About the Course
If you are a new undergraduate, domestic or international degree-seeking student at the University of Iowa, you are required to complete the online course, Success at Iowa.
- If you are a first-year or transfer student, enrolling for Summer or Fall, you will will take the course CSI:1600 during the Fall Semester.
- If you are a first-year or transfer student, enrolling for Spring, you will take the course CSI:1600 during the Spring Semester.
If you are an international student in the Iowa Intensive English Program (IIEP), you are not required to complete the course until you have been admitted to a degree program. If you are an exchange student or a student in an online degree program, you are not required to take the course.
Success at Iowa is designed around the five stages of transition that most University of Iowa students experience at the beginning of their college journey. Each stage has its own opening date, due date and set of requirements. You will complete the initial stages before the semester begins and the later stages after the semester is already underway. The final stage, Stage 5, is due during the fifth week of the semester.
The content in each stage provides you with information when it is most relevant to your transition to the University of Iowa. Because of this, the course must be completed in order.
5 Stages of Transition
Transitioning to and throughout college is a process. Success at Iowa supports you as you transition to Iowa so that you can reach your goals and get the most out of your experiences.
Stage 1. Plan
In Stage 1, you will Plan for Orientation and your transition to the University of Iowa, by thinking about your first-semester schedule, reviewing your degree audit, and learning more about Iowa Courses Online (ICON) and Office 365, the University of Iowa email system.
Stage 2. Prepare
In this stage, you will Prepare for arrival to campus by learning more about the University of Iowa expectations regarding sexual misconduct and alcohol use. You will also learn how to make informed financial decisions. Your choices will shape your college experience.
Stage 3. Discover
Stage 3 gives you the opportunity to Discover the diverse community you are now a part of at Iowa and how to get involved in that community. You will also learn about options for getting around campus, including how to ride the Cambus, the University of Iowa’s bus system.
Stage 4. Experience
Once classes begin, you will Experience what it is like to be a student at the University of Iowa and to interact with Faculty. You will find out, where to go for help when needing personal and academic support.
Stage 5. Excel
Finally, you will set yourself up to Excel by reflecting on your transition and the choices you have made so far. You will also learn the steps you need to take to successfully transition into your second semester at Iowa and to register for your second-semester courses.
Requirements & Grading
- You must complete all of the course requirements and earn a score of 80% or higher to receive a Satisfactory (S) grade in the course.
- Attending an Orientation program is a requirement of Success at Iowa.
To Begin the Course
- There are no class meetings to attend or textbooks to purchase for this course. Everything you need is available in Iowa’s learning management system which is called ICON, short for Iowa Courses Online.
- Log into ICON with your HawkID and password. Once you have logged in, click on the Success at Iowa course and read the information on the “Home” screen to get started.
- If you do not see the course listed, you may need to select the correct semester from the semester drop-down menu, found in the upper right-hand corner of the ICON dashboard.
- It's time to get started with Success at Iowa! Welcome to the University of Iowa community!
Questions about Success at Iowa can be directed to email@example.com.