Students who have paid the acceptance fee and answered the health insurance question on their Admissions Profile in MyUI are eligible to sign up for an orientation date starting Monday, October 10 at 9:00 am CST.
In this section:
- Beginning October 10, 2022 you can make an orientation reservation once you have accepted admission by paying the $325 acceptance fee.
- Confirm that your major is correct on your Admissions Profile in the MyUI student portal.
- If you need to change your major, you can request this through your Admissions Profile in the Admissions Summary section. If changing your major requires changing colleges within the University (i.e. changing from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to the Tippie College of Business), please call the Office of Admissions at 319-335-1549 to determine if you are eligible for this type of major change. All major changes should happen before you select an orientation program. If you are unsure of what you want to study, choosing "Open" as your major will allow you to explore many areas.
- If you intend to teach at the high-school level, indicate the subject area (history, English, chemistry, etc.) as your major.
- If you have been admitted to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences as having an "interest" in a major (such as elementary education or nursing) or as a "pre" major (business), this does not guarantee your admission to another college within the University. Please contact the Office of Admissions or the college directly to find out about their specific admission requirements.
Things to have ready when you make your reservation:
- HawkID and password
- Your summer schedule.
- Log into MyUI with your Hawk ID and Password.
- Click on the Admissions Tab in the yellow bar.
- Click on Orientation.
- Scroll down to the Health Insurance Requirement link and indicate your insurance status (indicating your health insurance status is required before you are able to register for an orientation program).
- Return to the main page of your Admissions Profile and select the Orientation / Registration link to choose dates.
- Orientation occurs in 2 Parts. You will select 2 dates for your Orientation Programs
Part 1: Online academic Advising and Course Registration (required)
For this reservation, select the week that you would like to meet virtually with your academic advisor and register for classes. This meeting will be up to hour in length on 1 day of that week (you do not need to be available the whole week). Approximately 7 days before your orientation week, you will choose a date and time to meet virtually with your advisor that fits in your schedule. Prior to your selected week, you will be required to complete online modules and placement exams to prepare. See an example below:
- You select December 12-16
- You will complete online modules and placement exams by December 5 and then choose your academic advising appointment date and time
Part 2: Becoming a Hawkeye on campus orientation program (optional)
For this reservation, we invite students and parents to join us on campus to learn about resources and opportunities in the first-year, explore campus and Iowa City, and meet fellow new Hawkeyes. Students should select a date after your online advising and course registration week (if this works in your schedule). This one day program will run 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. Students cannot meet with their advisor and register for classes in-person.
Students will be emailed an confirmation of their program dates to their UIowa email and the dates will also display in the Admissions Profile once they are confirmed.
Questions? Contact us!
Call 319-335-1497 (M-F, 8:00am - 4:30 pm CST)