Who should take the Chemistry Placement Test?
The University of Iowa Chemistry Placement Test is recommended for students considering the following majors (more Chemistry Placement Test Where you placed):
|Biology||Nuclear Medicine Technology|
|Biomedical Sciences||Nursing and Nursing Interest|
|Chemistry||Occupational Therapy (pre-)|
|Chiropractic (pre-)||Optometry (pre-)|
|Dentistry (pre-)||Pharmacy and Pharmacy Interest|
Engineering (& Engineering Interest)
|Physical Therapy (pre-)|
|Environmental Sciences||Physician Assistant (pre-)|
|Health & Human Physiology||Public Health (BA, BS, and interest)|
|Human Physiology||Radiation Sciences|
|Medical Laboratory Science||Science Education|
|Medicine (pre-)||Veterinary Medicine (pre-)|
What material does the Chemistry Placement Test cover?
The Chemistry Placement Test is comprised of 30 multiple choice questions that correspond to material covered in an introductory chemistry course. A periodic table, conversion factors, figures, and necessary data are available as part of the test.
When to take the Chemistry Placement Test
Students must complete the placement test at least 2 weeks prior to their Orientation date. International students in F-1 or J-1 status enrolling for fall should complete any required placement tests by the end of May or as soon as possible thereafter. Students requesting a waiver for duplication or regression must take the test prior to the first day of the semester for which the waiver is being requested. Students currently enrolled in a chemistry course should wait until late in the semester to take this test.
How to take the Chemistry Placement Test
- You'll start with the tutorial and practice test which will take 30 minutes and then you will login to take the Chemistry Placement Test which will take around 60 minutes.
- The Chemistry Placement Test is designed to be taken without the use of books, notes, or any other materials or resources.
- You may use a calculator and scratch paper
- If you get help or use restricted materials, you'll likely place yourself in a course that will be too difficult for you.
- Accommodations: If you need accommodations (for example, extra time), please contact Student Disability Services BEFORE you take the test.
Click this link to self-enroll into the Chemistry Placement Test.
Login with your University of Iowa HawkID and password.
If you have questions about your placement, contact the Academic Advising Center at firstname.lastname@example.org