Students who need to take the Advanced Math Placement Exam are:
- Students majoring in or planning to major in an area listed below or students who are planning on taking a math class in their first year on campus.
- Students who have completed Calculus in high school or students who are bringing in college credit for Calculus. If you have not taken Calculus (1 year), you should take the ALEKS Math Placement Test.
- All first-year students admitted to the College of Engineering and/or the Tippie College of Business are required to take a math placement test regardless of credit you are bringing into Iowa.
Depending on your results, you may also be required to take the ALEKS Math Placement Test. Placement exams should be completed at least 2 weeks prior to Orientation.
|Applied Physics||Medical Laboratory Science|
|Biology||Nuclear Med Tech Interest|
|Biomedical Sciences||Nursing and Nursing Interest|
|Business (and Pre-Business)
|Chemistry||Pharmacy and Pharmacy Interest|
|Chiropractic (pre-)||Physical Therapy (pre-)|
|Computer Science||Physician Assistant (pre-)|
|Dentistry (pre-)||Podiatry (pre-)|
|Elementary Education||Public Health and Public Health Interest|
|Engineering (and Engineering Interest)
||Radiation Sciences (pre-)|
|Enterprise Leadership||Science Education|
|Environmental Sciences||Science Studies|
|Geoscience||Speech and Hearing Science|
|Global Health Studies||Statistics|
|Health & Human Physiology||Sustainability Science|
|Human Physiology||Veterinary Medicine (pre-)|
Placement exam results are binding because they place you in the most appropriate level for your current math skills.
Why do I need to take a math placement test?
You must satisfy the prerequisites for all of your courses. Many math courses have prerequisites that are satisfied either by earning a minimum score on a math placement test or by earning a minimum grade in another college or university math course (high school courses do not satisfy prerequisites).
When to take the Advanced Math Placement Test
Take this test at least 2 weeks prior to your orientation date. Depending on your results, you may also be required to take the ALEKS Math Placement Exam.
What you should know before taking Advanced Math Placement Test
- The Advanced Math Placement Test is an online, 20 item multiple-choice test including the following topics: limits, differentiation, basic integration, curve-sketching, simple applications, and trigonometric functions.
- There is a 60 minute time limit; however, you should allow 90 minutes to complete the entire process.
- You must complete the test in one sitting.
- You may not use a calculator, books, notes, or any other resources except for scratch paper.
- Accommodations: If you need accommodations (for example, extra time), please contact Student Disability Services BEFORE you take the test.
How to take the Advanced Math Placement Test
Self-enroll and begin the Advanced Math Placement Test.
Login with your University of Iowa HawkID and password.