Your first year starts here
Your first year at the University of Iowa starts right now! Sure, you won’t begin classes until August, but what you do over the summer will lay the foundation for your whole Iowa experience. We want you to get involved—and to feel like part of the Hawkeye family—right from the start.
Essential information for new students
The New Student website offers essential information for every newly admitted undergraduate student, plus a guide to the resources that will help you succeed throughout your first-year on campus. It connects you with everything you need to know about Orientation and On Iowa!
Current Undergraduate Profiles
Upcoming Important Dates
May-August: Attend orientation if starting in the summer/fall 2016 semesters
- June 1: Deadline to apply for housing (Questions? Contact UH&D Contracts and Assignments: 319-335-3000 or housing.uiowa.edu)
- June-August: Receive your residence hall housing assignment and move-in instructions from University Housing. Notifications begin in June and continue through the summer.
- June-July: Download the General Student Requirements Form for your physician to complete. This includes proof of measles, mumps, and rubella immunity, which is required of all students.
- July 1: Official test scores and high school (and any college you have attended) transcripts are due by this date. (Questions? Admissions, 319-335-3847)
- August 1: Your first u-bill is posted on My UI. Payment is due by August 25. (Questions? Billing Office, 319-335-0071)
- August 14 & 15: Early residence hall move-in: you’ll have to pay a small daily rate of $45 per day until your contract begins. This fee includes meals as well. (Questions? Residence Education, 319-335-3700)
- August 17 & 18: Residence hall move-in: you will receive your move-in date and time with your housing assignment
- August 19-21: Attend the On Iowa! program, your official Hawkeye community welcome
- August 22: Classes begin
- December/January: Attend orientation if starting in the spring 2017 semester