What to expect
During your orientation program, you will spend time in small groups led by orientation Hawkeye Guides. You will meet other incoming students, explore campus, learn about the numerous resources available to you as a student, and learn about academics at the University of Iowa. You will also register for classes.
During your time on campus, you will walk to various buildings. Please plan to wear comfortable walking shoes and attire and let orientation staff know if you need accomodations for getting around campus.
What to do Before Orientation
- Upload your Iowa One Card Photo through the Admissions Profile on MyUI. Choose your own photo and then you can just pick up your official student ID card at orientation check-in.
- Complete the Introduction and Part 1 of Success at Iowa on Iowa Courses Online (ICON). This online course is required of all new students and the first part needs to be completed before your orientation program.
- Take any necessary Placement Tests at least 2 weeks before your orientation program.
What to bring
- Your Hawk ID and password for course registration
- A valid, government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license or passport, to obtain an Iowa One Card, your official UI student ID
- Your AP, CLEP, IB, and Placement Test results, so your academic advisor can help you select courses appropriate for your ability
- The confirmation email you received with your orientation date (print or have access to on a mobile device)
- Comfortable walking shoes and an umbrella or rain gear
- A sweater or sweatshirt (meeting rooms may be cool)