What to expect
During your orientation program, you will spend time in small groups led by an Orientation Leader. You will meet other incoming students, explore campus, and learn about many resources available to you as a student. You will meet with your academic advisor, review available courses, and register for classes.
What to do Before Orientation
- Upload your Iowa One Card photo through the Admission Profile on MyUI. Choose your own photo and then you can just pick up your official student ID card at orientation check-in.
- Complete the Introduction and the Plan Stage of the Success at Iowa course on Iowa Courses Online (ICON). This online course is required of all new students and the first parts need to be completed before your orientation program.
- Take any necessary Placement Tests at least 2 weeks before your orientation program.
What students should bring
- Your Hawk ID and password for course registration
- A valid, government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license or passport, to obtain an Iowa One Card, your official UI student ID
- Your AP/ CLEP/ IB information, dual enrollment course information, and Placement Test results, so your academic advisor can help you select appropriate courses
- The email confirmation you received with your date and overnight accommodations (print or have access to on a mobile device)
- Comfortable walking shoes and an umbrella or rain gear
- Toiletries for staying overnight in the residence hall
- Gym clothes and/or swimming apparel for evening programming in the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center (CRWC)