We are excited to have you join the Hawkeye family! We created your online orientation experience to assist you in your transition to the University and Iowa City. We also invite parents, family members, and your support system to participate in our webinars and online content so that they are prepared to support your college transition and journey to graduation.
1. Sign up for an orientation date through your Admission Profile. Online dates are June - August.
2. Complete the Getting Started and Stage 1 (Plan) sections of the Success at Iowa course on Iowa Courses Online (ICON). The course opened on May 1, 2020. Success at Iowa is a required course for all incoming students and will deliver content applicable to your transition and success at the University of Iowa in 5 stages. The course begins prior to your first semester and continues through the first 5 weeks of the semester. Once in ICON, make sure you are in the correct semester (Fall 2020) to locate the course.
3. Complete all of the action items in the Orientation Tile in MyUI. The action items in the tile must be completed no less than one week prior to your orientation date to continue onto the next step. Your online orientation experience is tailored to you individually. You will learn more about the college you are admitted to at Iowa, specific programs you may have been accepted into (Honors, Advantage Iowa, etc.), as well as the tools you will use to be a successful student at Iowa. Login to MyUI with your HawkID and password and navigate to the tile labeled Orientation (the tiles are in alphabetical order) on the Home page. Follow the steps in the tile and complete all of the items through Academic Advising prior to your orientation date. You will complete the last section, called New Student Check-list after you register for classes with your advisor.
4. Schedule your academic advising appointment time. You will receive an email 1 week prior to your orientation date with directions to schedule a time for your academic advising appointment on your orientation date. You need a stable internet connection and a computer to complete the appointment and course registration. If you have concerns about your access to technology for this appointment, please contact Orientation Services as soon as possible at email@example.com or 319-335-1497.
5. Connect with your Orientation Leader. About a week before your orientation date, your Orientation Leader (OL) will reach out to help prepare you for your advising appointment and share about their transition experience. Take time to ask them questions and use them to help you feel ready for your next steps. They will also help to connect you with your new classmates and explore the many opportunities at Iowa.
6. Review information from your advisor. You will receive an email at your uiowa.edu email account (be sure to be checking this daily) with more details about creating schedules and choosing classes from your advisor within a week of your orientation date. Make sure to review this to fully prepare for your appointment. You OL can help with any questions!
7. Meet with your academic advisor on your orientation date and register for classes. They will assist you with registration and you should leave the appointment with your schedule.
8. Complete the New Student Checklist items in the MyUI orientation tile. There are a few items that you will need to complete and other transition areas to think about once you have registered, prior to arriving on-campus in August. This checklist will help you navigate the many things to consider as you transition.
9. Attend orientation sessions to learn more about being a Hawkeye! Throughout the summer there are many webinars and hangouts scheduled to help you connect to your peers, learn more about opportunities and resources, and get excited about being a Hawkeye. You and your family can pick and choose the areas that you want to learn more about. Please register for events and let us know what questions you have.